Reads of the Week
- Great read on the CIA’s secret sites in Somalia from The Nation. Always a great site for solid investigative reporting.
- Slightly cloying Peter Biskind profile of Warren Beatty and the making of Reds. Not a film I’ve ever felt quite as fond of as Biskind appears to, but undoubtedly the kind of film that you would never get made, let alone seen, today.
- Nice mini-memoir of a life growing up with Christian contemporary music in the 1990s alternative scene. Not music I know personally, but still an engaging piece.
- Terrific profile of Bridgewater Associates founder and guru Ray Dalio. Read this article with the thought in your mind that his man manages the largest hedge fund in the world and, further, note the justification he gives for blending his spiritual enlightenment with a socially bankrupt form of finance.
- The best though… an astonishing account of the revolution in Yemen from those on the ground. Utterly superb journalism at a time that is vitally important.